You are drinking your Valentus SlimRoast coffee and were losing weight each week, and then the weight loss stops. Although it is disheartening, it is perfectly normal to hit this plateau during your weight-loss journey. However, it is possible to beat the plateau and continue down the road to success.
A plateau occurs when you stay at one level without rising or falling. Once you reach a plateau in your routine, it takes a great deal of motivation to keep plugging away. For most of us, a plateau brings discouragement, excuses and an unfortunate fall from our physical, mental and emotional high.
- Review your food choices to determine if you are eating all the servings of all the food groups as recommended
- Make note of any unhealthy food choices you have been making. Just one piece of cake on a regular basis or one unhealthy take-out meal per week adds calories to your diet that might contribute to the weight-loss plateau.
- Pay attention to any emotional triggers that may be contributing to your weight loss plateau. Stressful situations, for example, cause you to keep weight on because of cortisol.
- Increase your activity. Add more time to your daily workouts, or increase the workouts’ intensity. Working out more or harder will increase your lean muscle mass. More lean muscle mass will rev up your metabolism and help you to get past the plateau.
- Reassess your weight-loss goals. In some cases, the weight you are aiming for might be unrealistic for your body frame. Use a body mass index chart to see if your current weight is within the normal BMI range. If it is within the normal range, you can opt to maintain your current weight instead of trying to lose more weight.